Friday, December 6, 2013

sometimes i wish i lived in a snowglobe.

i work at a college that isn't exactly the most business-y place to work always. i mean, business gets done here and there are a few people (president, vp's, some professors) who wear suits everyday but for the most part it's slightly more relaxed than, say, wall street.

this type of environment has it's perks; every day at 3pm we have break (that i affectionately call "snack") where all the faculty and staff are invited to the cafe to grab a bite to eat and free beverage and take a couple minutes just to chat.
we also have a door decorating contest every year at Christmas. we are encouraged to decorate our office doors in a Christmas-theme and then they're judged and we can win prizes.
yes, i am an adult working at an academic institution and we get snack and prizes.

sometimes my job is a-okay.

obviously my door must somehow be connected to music. it just does, okay?

last year i took wham!'s song 'last christmas' and did a comic version of it on my door. it involved me giving my heart to keith harkin (from celtic thunder. don't judge), him throwing it in the trash, me crying, and then me giving my heart to adam levine (sexiest man alive, anyone?). i didn't win.

this year i took matt wertz's song 'snowglobe' and created a snowglobe on my door (i was going to make it three-dimensional but i couldn't find a big enough clear plastic bowl) that depicts my snowglobe dreams. the lyrics to the song sing, "sometimes i wish i lived in a snowglobe..." so naturally this is what i came up with: jon foreman and i riding together in a sleigh pulled by unicorns. believe it or not, i didn't win. stinkin' girl who created an entire 3D who-ville outside her door won, whatever she works for the education department, she had lots of resources. no, i'm not bitter. okay maybe a little. jon foreman in a sleigh pulled by unicorns in GENIUS.

my boss tried to comfort me, "they just don't understand your art. you'll probably make a ton of money once you're dead."

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment